This zesty mix is great for salmon cakes making a tasty high protein appetizer or main dish at a meal. Serve these cakes warm or at room temperature with Chili Lime Dipping Sauce & lime wedges. It also makes tasty burgers on buns with lettuce and sweet potato fries and a cabbage coleslaw on the side.
Thai Salmon Cakes
Makes 4 burgers or 8 2-inch cakes
2 x 170g of canned wild salmon (de-boned and de-skinned)
2 green onions, chopped into 1 inch pieces
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
¾ cup cilantro (washed)
½ jalapeno/green chili (de-seeded for less heat)
½ lime, juiced
½ teaspoon lime zest
(optional) 2 teaspoons fish sauce (I like Thai Kitchen)
1-2 tablespoons flour or breadcrumbs (I use coconut flour)
coconut oil for frying cakes
1. In a food processor chop green onions, ginger, cilantro and jalapeno.
2. Next add salmon, lime juice , zest, egg and fish sauce (if using) and blend until combined.
3. Transfer back to the bowl and stir in flour or crumbs
4. Shape mixture into patties or burgers (will make 8 2-inch patties or 4 burgers).
5. Heat coconut oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat.
6. Cook salmon cakes, for approximately 2 minutes on each side or until golden and cooked through.
Note: if not immediately making the patties, this ingredient combination it is different than a regular beef hamburger mix, the lime juice will start to take effect on the salmon and release more juices, so you may need to add more flour or bread crumbs to get the cakes to hold together.
Chili Lime Dipping Sauce
¾ cup plain yogurt
2 teaspoon chili powder (or Sriracha -a type of chili sauce)
1 jalapeno, chopped (seeded for less heat)
½ lime, juiced
¼ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon salt
- In a bowl or big measuring cup, stir all ingredients with a fork or whisk (do not use a blender or food processor as this makes the yogurt turn liquidity)
- Refrigerate until ready to use.