This delicious smoothie is packed full of nutrients to support the endocrine system and aid in creating balance during times of hormonal shifts. Blueberries provide a hearty dose of antioxidants, while Brazil nuts and pumpkin seeds provide minerals like selenium and zinc to support thyroid function and the immune system. Golden flax has an estrogen-balancing effect in the body, making it a great addition before and after menopause. Maca provides an energy boost while supporting estrogen balance as well, and nourishes the adrenals (the glands that take over the bulk of hormone production after menopause). Protein should be included in every meal to keep blood sugar balanced, and cinnamon further supports blood sugar regulation while stimulating the digestive system’s circulation (along with ginger). Enjoy!
– 1 cup blueberries
– 1/2 apple, or pear, or banana
– 2-4 brazil nuts
– 2 Tbsp. pumpkin seeds
– 1 Tbsp. freshly ground golden flax seeds
– 2 tsp. maca (“gelatinized” powdered maca is best)
– 1 scoop vanilla protein powder of choice
– 1 cup water (or part water and part ice)
– pinch of salt
– dash of cinnamon or ginger
– optional: 2 tsp. raw cacao powder for an extra antioxidant energy kick
Blend all ingredients together until smooth.